Login |  Register

[ 6 posts ] 

Tue May 05, 2015 10:19 am

Still a newbe but getting better !! lol
In electrical compartment there is this thingy that says converter/charger its wired to panel and has a 110V plug that's plugged in near buy outlet,,,,,,, what is it ? and whats its purpose ?????

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Thu May 07, 2015 8:13 am

Heavy ......
The converter / charger does pretty much just what it's name says. When you're plugged into " shore power ", it takes that 110 volts and squeezes it down to 12 volts to recharge your coach batteries.

John

Top Top

Sun May 10, 2015 4:22 pm

GB Suite wrote:
Heavy ......
The converter / charger does pretty much just what it's name says. When you're plugged into " shore power ", it takes that 110 volts and squeezes it down to 12 volts to recharge your coach batteries.

John

OK so it just keep coach batteries charged then.......
Under the hood on fire wall there is this like 6" X 6" thing says on board charger,has a plug coming out of it looks like you would plug extension cord in,also has red & black wires that hook to 1 of coach battery's......wouldn't that do same job as converter/charger?

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Sun May 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Quote:
OK so it just keep coach batteries charged then.......

Is the 110V outlet on the onboard charger always live, or only when you're plugged in to shore power?

As I understand it, the charger/converter provides 12V DC to all of your coach equipment and systems that operate on 12V whenever you're plugged in. That is the main function. It is also a charger for the coach batteries, but I think this is secondary.
I don't know why you would need an " onboard battery charger " in addition to your charger / converter, unless you have more than the standard 12V requirements, and the charger / converter is unable to supply the power requirements and maintain the batteries at the same time, or if you have more than a couple of coach batteries.

Maybe another member has experience with an onboard charger.

John

Top Top

Mon May 11, 2015 6:10 am

I don't have a charger on the firewall. I did have to get an thing called a Trik-L-Start because the chassis battery would drain down after about three days of being at a site. There were things that probably should have been on the coach batteries that were connected onto the chassis battery. It let the converter charge/condition all of the batteries. It could be someone put a regular charger on yours to plug in while sitting at a site to accomplish the same thing. many people have.

After spending a few days chasing gremlins to shed items off of the chassis battery I spent the $40 for the Trik-L-Start and the problem was fixed. As long as you are on shore power everything gets charged/conditioned.

Top Top

Mon May 11, 2015 7:49 am

Thanx guys
I some what remember that charger on fire wall to have a green lite on it when pluged in to campground service will have to check next time plugged in,have been plugged in to campground service before for 2 weeks and did not have any drainage problems,,,,,,

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 
 [ 6 posts ]