Login |  Register

[ 7 posts ] 

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Just purchased a 2000 landeau 34ft. My wife and I are getting close to retirement and wanted to see if RVing was for us.It has a V10 triton engine and only had 3800 miles on it.We took it to Lake Michigan with our nieces daughters and had a good time.Just wondering if this Ford engine can handle the Rockies? Jim and Cathy

Top Top

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 am

Don't know but wish I could go with to find out. Sounds like a nice trip with a nice rig.

Top Top

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Hey Panhead .....
Don't have any personal experience with the V10, but I know several folks who are happy with them, and have read good things on other forums. We have a 2001 Suite with the small ( 7.4L ) GM Vortec .... I was looking for one with a V10, but couldn't pass this one up. Anyway, this is our first rig, and I admit that crawling up the Ozark Mountain roads with a line of traffic behind me was a little unsettling at first, but you get used to it. Haven't tackled any big mountains yet, but we plan to. Are you in Michigan?

Welcome to the Forum
John

Top Top

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:41 am

Yes John we are in Michigan.Planning a trip west next year,hauling two motorcycles in trailer. Just hoping transmission and motor can handle the mountains.I am looking into an air ride suspension system right now. Hopefully it will help out on body roll when cornering.This RVing I am sure will take some getting use to as far as going down the road.Hope all is well with your new RV.

Top Top

Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:18 am

We have the chevy 7.4 litre and towed a car. We are currently at the North Rim (from Indiana) and had no problems. We didn't fly up the hills but did OK. Most places you really bog down there will be a passing lane. There are many V10s out here. Of my friends that have the V10s I haven't heard many complaints except the spark plug thing.

Enjoy your trip and don't be in a hurry even on the interstates. It helps the gas mileage.

Top Top

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:23 am

Hey PanHead (must be a scooter name)....

Lots of folks pull their scoots behind much older and less powerful RVs and don't seem to have any trouble. Go to Sturgis every year and it's not a problem. I too have a Suite (2001) and it did just fine this year - but I wasn't in a hurry. I pulled the mountains from the desert in AZ up into Flagstaff and beyond and didn't have any trouble with my 7.4 - but our unit is a 29'. Don't know if that matters. We only kicked out of cruise one time.

Top Top

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm

We have a 2000 Pursuit,[ V-10 and 23000 miles] and just returned home to So. FL. from a 3 month 5600 mile trip. We tow a Saturn four down, and had zero problems. I think our steepest grade was from Denver to Estes Park, CO. and it was no problem. It is possible that we had some steeper drives going to Boone, NC. but of shorter duration. In the mountains, I try to drive by the engine Tach. The V-10 generates lots of torque at 3500 to 4000 rpm. Turn off the overdrive, and gear down going up hill or down. Hope you have a fun trip.
Brendan

Top Top
 [ 7 posts ]