Login |  Register

[ 9 posts ] 

Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Just got Rv last summer,used 3-4 times and didn't have any problems.Took it to local campground last weekend,hooked up electric,sewer and water,freshwater tank was empty so I turned valve open to fill it,couple hours later I went around back of rv and their was water running out from under rear of rv,looked under rear and it was coming out of 2 hoses that came thru floor,so I shut off water and went in and lifted bed to look at holding tank....it was full and was sucked in like it had a vaccum on it!!!! the 2 hose that came thru floor were over flow hoses it looks like.Shouldnt the water shut off when tank gets full? thought it did last year...after shutting water hose off it continued to come out these over flow hoses till it got down to like 1/2 tank of water aand it made a air hissing sould out the hoses and it stoped leaking,and the tank was sucked in real bad like it had a vaccum on it,their was a plug it top of tank so I took it out and it made a big woooshing sound and the tank popped back out!!!! why did tank suck in and why don't water stop when tank gets full???????

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 am

Heavy .... you really need to read the owners manual. If you don't have one, go to http://www.coachmenrv.com/OwnerManuals.aspx and get one. It's listed as "Georgie Boy Swing & Cruise Master Motor Homes". The fresh water system info is on pages 23 - 25.

When you're hooked up to " city water " ( a hose ), you don't need to fill your holding tank. As far as I know there is no automatic shut off when the tank is empty. The water that was leaking out of your tank is from the drain hoses. You need to shut off the holding tank drain valves ( see page 25 ). Our unit has a second drain valve in the rear storage area as well as the one in the water compartment, so you may have to hunt around if there's still water draining out.
As for the tank sucking in, I don't have a clue unless it could be that your 12 volt water pump was left on, running dry ( a very bad thing ) and sucked the air out. However if your drain valves were open, that would be very unlikely.

Good luck, and Happy Memorial Day.

Top Top

Fri May 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Heavy,

I have to strongly agree with John on the Owner's Manual. With overflow and drain open and draining you have the potential to put the tank in a slight vacuum. Because the tank is pliable plastic and not made for a vacuum, it would start to 'suck in' with only a couple of vertical feet of water column. It is built for the pressure of being full of water and the vacuum could cause it to fail. Changing or trying to repair the fresh water tank does not sound like a project I want to worry about.

Marc

Top Top

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:25 am

Our tank will "swell" a bit when we fill it. By this I mean when the tank is empty or low the top dips a bit and the sides come in a bit. When it fills as it fills with water they come outward. The overflows will normally keep up with the incoming water to stop a ridiculous over expansion. The tank will drain through the overflows until the tanks gets back to its "relaxed" state.

From what I am reading in the OP it seems to be doing what just about any tank will do. While they may be out there, I don't know of anyone that has an auto shut-off on the tank fill.

I have, and likely will eventually, get side tracked and forget the tank is filling and all at once remember to find a lake around the rear of the coach.

Top Top

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Joe & the Boss wrote:
Our tank will "swell" a bit when we fill it. By this I mean when the tank is empty or low the top dips a bit and the sides come in a bit. When it fills as it fills with water they come outward. The overflows will normally keep up with the incoming water to stop a ridiculous over expansion. The tank will drain through the overflows until the tanks gets back to its "relaxed" state.

From what I am reading in the OP it seems to be doing what just about any tank will do. While they may be out there, I don't know of anyone that has an auto shut-off on the tank fill.

I have, and likely will eventually, get side tracked and forget the tank is filling and all at once remember to find a lake around the rear of the coach.

OK printed out a O/M it looks like it don't have a auto shut off,It seems as if the 2 overflow hoses must have hose on inside of tank that goto the bottom of tank,,,,,when it comes out over flow hose I shut off water supply and it will continue to leak outa them till it get to 1/2 tank then it stops,like pressure of water when fill cause water to get pushed up & out over flows,then @ 1/2 tank it don't got that much pressure to push no more water out.....

Thanx for responding guys! Guess their are some people that use this site!! :O)

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 pm

ha ha, we had a lake the other day because we changed where we were hooking up the hose and it became wrapped around the outside shower hookup and turned that on...fortunately didnt run too long before i noticed the large puddle beginning to form. It scared the divil out of me...was ready for another fun repair but turned out we just had to turn off! Ah the fun of rving...We are still on our big first retirement trip but getting closer to heading home...we are in big sur at the moment and heading towards sanfran...then to yosemite and east. Any one have any great travel ideas for us

Top Top

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 am

hosersmom wrote:
ha ha, we had a lake the other day because we changed where we were hooking up the hose and it became wrapped around the outside shower hookup and turned that on...fortunately didnt run too long before i noticed the large puddle beginning to form. It scared the divil out of me...was ready for another fun repair but turned out we just had to turn off! Ah the fun of rving...We are still on our big first retirement trip but getting closer to heading home...we are in big sur at the moment and heading towards sanfran...then to yosemite and east. Any one have any great travel ideas for us

Did you do the obligatory "look around" to see if anyone saw your faux pas? While yours isn't an really unusual issue we have seen some humdingers, and have been involved in some, it seems people tend to look around afterwards to see how many others noticed. We saw a 5th wheel pull into a campground and the copilot put out a sign that said "The Entertainment Has Arrived" and the backing up attempts began.

The "joys" of RVing never ends and RVs offer many teaching points.

Top Top

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi, first timer here, we own a 2000 Georgie Boy Cruise master and have been very happy with it. We know for sure that there is a leak in the fresh water tank. It leaks out quickly and we see water dripping from above the gas tank going down the braces that hold the gas tank. My husband is very capable of repairing it if we could get the tank out. The tank looks something like a T and will not slide forward. Any suggestions? Thanks a million!

Top Top

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:20 am

Can you see where the water is actually coming from on the tank?

By that I mean to check all other options before tackling a tank removal. It could be as simple as a fitting leaking. Is your water tank under the bed?

Top Top
 [ 9 posts ]