Login |  Register

[ 4 posts ] 

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Tires! We have a 2005 Pursuit that we bought new in 05. I have always kept tire covers on Georgie while parked. while on a short trip last spring we had a blowout on inside rear driver side. We took it to a well known tire shop and they said that all of my tires looked good and it must have been just one of those things. New tire and a trip to Nashville for a trip with my grown kids and on the way back the right front blew out at 71MPH on I40. On out left was heavy traffic an the right Nothing for about 20ft straight down! It was not fun! We bought all new tires even though they said the old ones looked new. By the way we have them checked and aired up if needed before every trip, Gateway tire does this for free. If they are old no matter how they look be carefull.

Top Top

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 am

jerry wrote:
Tires! We have a 2005 Pursuit that we bought new in 05. I have always kept tire covers on Georgie while parked. while on a short trip last spring we had a blowout on inside rear driver side. We took it to a well known tire shop and they said that all of my tires looked good and it must have been just one of those things. New tire and a trip to Nashville for a trip with my grown kids and on the way back the right front blew out at 71MPH on I40. On out left was heavy traffic an the right Nothing for about 20ft straight down! It was not fun! We bought all new tires even though they said the old ones looked new. By the way we have them checked and aired up if needed before every trip, Gateway tire does this for free. If they are old no matter how they look be carefull.

It sounds like you needed an underwear change after your I-40 festivities. Nice to hear you got through relatively unscathed. Most blow out stories have a great deal of body and component damage attached.

According to everything I have read 7 years is about the end of a tire as far as lifetime goes. The tread is normally fine but the rest is just too old and you just live on borrowed time.

The other thing is covers. Covering them or not is as two sided as the Ford/Chevy arguments. I did speak to a tire guru at a rally and his take was if the covers touch the tires they probably don't help much, if not causing more harm than good. He preferred the covers that don't touch the tire at all. He went into a discussion of transferring the heat via contact. It made sense. In looking around at the full timer parks there seems to be about a 50/50 split on covering or not.

Top Top

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:37 am

Yes and thanks Joe! The front compartment bottom was ripped out, don't know how I will fix it at this time, may make a sheet metal one? If you have an RV you have to be able to repair it yourself or pay a lot out to have it taken care of and sometimes by people who want to rip you off. Had a slide out that didn't work dealer said it would cost me over $1,000 and they kept it for three weeks, I picked it up and told them no thanks, found a pinched ground wire. Cost of repair, 10 cent butt splice. Anyway new tires for me no later than five years, not worth the chance.

Top Top

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:33 am

My water compartment floor was getting a bit water damaged. I was able to get a 1/4 sheet of 3/4" marine plywood and it was easy to replace. I didn't have any frame damage. I just unscrewed the current floor and it came up. That was of course after getting all of the plumbing pieces and parts out of the way. Before I put the new one in I laminated some sheet fiberglass to it and put sheet metal on the bottom. It was well under $100 and a day of my time.

I refuse to go to a dealer for repairs. Generally, an appointment is not to get the work done but to leave the unit on the lot. Then the infamous "we are waiting for parts" that anyone else can get in a few days. If it is something I can't handle I have an on site repair done. They work on only your unit, get it done without waiting and without giving unknown people unfettered access to our house an its contents.

Top Top
 [ 4 posts ]