Login |  Register

[ 10 posts ] 

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 pm

anybody ever replace a clutch fan on a GB GM 454 ??? Having problem of running hot always ran around 210 degrees,now its runs hotter close to the red on gauge!! even with electric cooling fan on, seams as tho I would let off gas then I heard clutch fan kick in and gauge would go back to 210 but would rise back up close to red,,,,,,,clutch don't kick on all the time when you let off gas !!! when cold I can turn fan buy hand,when I spin it it moves but stops movement as soon as I let off,seams as If it spins to easy to me,If I were to run it to temp then shut off would it be harder to move buy hand??? any info would be grateful !

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:07 am

Are you talking about the main fan or the secondary fan? Mine has two fans. The "all of the time fan" and then the fan that kicks on when the temperature gets too high.

If I recall correctly when you remove the main fan it requires a special tool but Autozone will have it most likely.

Top Top

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:19 am

Joe & the Boss wrote:
Are you talking about the main fan or the secondary fan? Mine has two fans. The "all of the time fan" and then the fan that kicks on when the temperature gets too high.

If I recall correctly when you remove the main fan it requires a special tool but Autozone will have it most likely.

I'm talking about the fan clutch on front of motor that engine fan bolts to,it has a electric fan also,the clutch fan is to engage and disengage with temp of engine,I think in 94' it has 4 bolts not the big nut that takes special tool,motor was running close to red zone going thru Ga on way to Fl,didnt seam like the clutch was engaging like it should,you can hear when it kicks on and see temp gauge go down,seams like it don't kick in all the time,,,,,,making another move further south soon and need to fix problem,,,,,,,

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:52 am

Mine had the four bolts too. I had to loosen those bolts, put the special tool under them and then loosen the clutch for removal.

The main fan on my 454 spins all of the time. The other fan only kicks on when the temperature rises.

BTW - "Main" fan and "other" fan are highly technical terms.

I am guessing your main fan isn't doing it's thing and the other fan is having a tough time keeping up in hot weather.

Top Top

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Joe & the Boss wrote:
Mine had the four bolts too. I had to loosen those bolts, put the special tool under them and then loosen the clutch for removal.

The main fan on my 454 spins all of the time. The other fan only kicks on when the temperature rises.

BTW - "Main" fan and "other" fan are highly technical terms.

I am guessing your main fan isn't doing it's thing and the other fan is having a tough time keeping up in hot weather.

What is this special tool you speak of "grass hopper"? lol the main fan on motor bolts to clutch which bolts to the water pump,what is the purpose of this tool ??? the "other" fan is a big electric fan 16"maybe mounted on front of radiator under hood with switch on dash to turn off & on,,,,,

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:48 pm

went to advance auto today,got a fan clutch, server duty clutch,took old one out today,wasent that big of a deal doing from up top,took little box from top of engine cover,slide cover back about 18" and had cover to lay on,got off but couldn't get it out it hit shroud!! had to take shroud loose this gave room to get it out,after getting out and comparing the 2 the replacement was way cheesy looking,the cooling fins on new clutch were like 1/8th" high,the originals were close to a inch high!! took back to advance and asked if they had a Delco original replacement,they said yea its $189 but we don't stock it and can no longer order it!!! Called chevy dealer they said they could have 1 in morning,list $249 cost me $183 ! will pick up in morning !!

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:39 am

The special tools is a supersized flat tuning fork looking thing. It was used to hold the clutch still while turning the fan to get things apart. Like any RV repairs you have to be a anorexic midget whose knees and elbows bend in the opposite direction they are designed to.

As a side story, I had a friend pull in Thursday and had overheating issues on the mountain grades. It was a new to him DP. After discussing all of the high dollar possibilities to get the rig to stay cool I noticed the leather bonnet a previous owner had put on was covering a couple of air inlets on the lower front cap. Just for the heck of it we re-opened them and fixed them to the cap so they wouldn't blow around. He took it over a pass and no more over heating.

How did the new part installation go?

Top Top

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 am

Joe & the Boss wrote:
The special tools is a supersized flat tuning fork looking thing. It was used to hold the clutch still while turning the fan to get things apart. Like any RV repairs you have to be a anorexic midget whose knees and elbows bend in the opposite direction they are designed to.

As a side story, I had a friend pull in Thursday and had overheating issues on the mountain grades. It was a new to him DP. After discussing all of the high dollar possibilities to get the rig to stay cool I noticed the leather bonnet a previous owner had put on was covering a couple of air inlets on the lower front cap. Just for the heck of it we re-opened them and fixed them to the cap so they wouldn't blow around. He took it over a pass and no more over heating.

How did the new part installation go?

Went very well Joe,didnt need no special tools,only 4 nuts holding clutch & fan on pulley of water pump nose,didnt have to mess with any belt tension or anything,only had to loosen fan shroud to get fan & clutch out,couldnt even see it from bottom,took little tray/box off engine cover and slide cover back about 18" and was very comfortable laying on cover and reaching down to do job! got it out,unbolted 4 bolts that hold clutch to fan,put fan on new clutch and bolted back on an put shroud back on and "wala"!!Staying at friends house and black tank got full and I ran down to dump station and dumped tanks and it ran reg temp on gauge and I heard the clutch kick in a few times so I'm assuming its working like intended !! Going to make 100 mile move in few weeks towing toad so we will see !!

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:46 am

Made the 100 mile trip and all was well,fan kicked off and on as it was suppose to,you here when clutch kicks in an out,makes real noticeable noise!! Didn't pull toad had wife drive it as it wasn't that far !!!

Top Top
  Profile  YIM 

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 pm

We had the same issue with the noise. We glued the bubble wrap with aluminum covering (insert trade name here ___________) to the underside of the engine cowling. The noise was reduced dramatically. They make stuff designed for that but a cost benefit analysis proved I was to cheap for the real stuff.

Glad to hear you glitch was fixed.

Top Top
 [ 10 posts ]